Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Part-time courses from IIIT Hyderabad

Let me paste here some details of the PGSSP course offered by IIIT-H for the working professionals in Hyderabad, and on the future route that one may wish to take (either a MTech, MS, or PhD). I had written this to one friend who was interested in PhD, but I feel that the same should give anyone (a working professional, looking for a part-time course) a good idea about the PGSSP programme, and a later MTech/MS, as well.

[Disclaimer: The information and the opinion presented here are based on my personal opinion and experience. While I have tried to be as correct and unbiased as possible, the following can not be taken as the ultimate or the final word or information for the part-time courses offered by IIIT Hyderabad. For official information, please go to iiit.ac.in and also enquire from IIIT-H's admission office before taking any decision.]

Q. The offer says that u have to enroll in few courses max of two per semester. Does this course offer a degree of Master? If yes, then how many course we need to take in Total?

>> Part time students can take a minimum of 1 course per sem, or a max of 2 courses per sem. PGSSP is kind of a probation period for professionals willing to enter the masters/doctorate. You get 1 year (2 sems) to prove your worth to your (possible) guide or college.

If it is MTech, it has to be 64 credits. Each course is normally of 4 credits. And you can take a max of 2 courses i.e., 8 credits in sem.
Similarly, MS is 48 credits (24 credits for subjects, and 24 credits for thesis)

Q. Can u tell us about the classes which happens in IIIT, the duration and  time of classes.

>> Each subject will have biweekly classes, each of 90 mins duration. You can check the timetable for this semester to get an idea.

Q. How is your experience with PGSSP program & with faculties? Also please provide some insight on overall pressure.

>> PGSSP is quite good from the learning perspective, but tough when done along with your office load. The faculties are very well qualified, proficient in their areas.
As far as study load is concerned, you can take a min of 1 course, and a max of 2 courses per sem in PGSSP. [each course can have 4 to 6 credits. I have always taken 4 credit courses :P )
Each course will have 2 classes a week (1 1/2 hours) and you might have to jump off the office in between work days to attend the classes (there are grades on the attendance)
Each course can have a max of 3 written exams, 2 projects, and weekly assignments. The particular faculty may relax the rules, to either 2 exams, 1 project, or no exam at all.

As per as I have seen, the 1st year is the toughest! You will feel to drop out many times! Only the passion for research and learning can help you continue!

Q. How flexible is IIIT in research topic, are there any fixed research topics which institute insist on, or we are free to choose research topic of our interest?

>> This is based on your previous Academic and Work Experience. Based on this, and on your planned future research interests, the professor will suggest specific courses.
Once you are formally into the research (either MS or PhD), you are free to choose your subjects. But it is good to chart your path at IIIT, right from the first sem at PGSSP. You need to talk to a professor under whom you feel you can do research in your area of interest.

In my case, I wanted to do a specialization in "Semantic Search" area, so the subjects I took (as my professor/guide suggested) were Cloud Computing, Pattern Recognition, NLP, IR, etc.) and their credits got migrated to my MS credit, when I upgraded my PGSSP to an MS by Research!

Q. Is there any mandatory minimum attendance? In my case this will be deciding criteria as my role requires me to travel based on business need.

>> Yes! For all subject courses, attendance forms a part of your grades. Every research course, MS or PhD, half of the credits are given to subjects, and half to research/thesis.

Q. Is there any entrance exam for PGSSP as well?

>> No. PGSSP is for working professionals. You can show your work and academic experience through a Statement of Purpose (SOP) when you fill your admission form. You might need a recommendation letter from your company, and a statement that your company is okay to allow you study along side your work ... something of this sort.

Q. I'm aware of the process but seems there are exceptions and exemptions, it is mentioned that some students may not require entrance exam or may be exempted from some course as they might already have relevant course in their previous degree, do you have any such experience or know someone who was given any exemption?

>> Correct, it all depends on your earlier academic/work experience in the research area / lab you are planning to work on. The particular professor's decision also matters.
I got into PGSSP through a recommendation letter from my company, and I needed no entrance exams. As far as I know, there is no entrances for PGSSP for certain.

Q. Will be grateful if you could provide details about your journey, will definitely inspire and motivate me :)  

If you plan to continue a part-time course, then starting with PGSSP is the best option available. This first year will give you an indication how you cope with the load, and whether you can sustain working and studying side-by-side.
For me it was hard, but the passion of learning and and the excitement of doing research in my interest areas, have guided me and helped me pass over the difficult first phase of PGSSP (1 year). You need a min CGPA of 7 to get upgraded to an MS/MTech, and a CGPA of 8 for a PhD approval.
I learned to know and work with latest Search and IR processes and technologies, and cloud infrastructures. The feel of getting into a research mode in a research oriented institute / lab is great! But I should warn you, it is tough to do both - work and study/research. You will need to be at the top of your time and priority management skills.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful post. Answered most of my doubts. I couldn't more info on web except this.

    Since there are no entrance exams, how should I make sure that I will be selected ? Do I have to prepare for interviews ?

    I highly interested in this & I don't want to give them a chance to reject my application.

    I'd totally appreciate if you can help me regarding this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you @Avi.

    Mostly, working professionals get selected for PGSSP, provided they have a NOC from their employer, and a satisfactory academic/professional record.

    You can make sure that you submit a SOP (Statement of Purpose), stating why you want to go for PGSSP and a future MTech/MS/PhD.
    The SOP should also list your experience and academic interests and research (if possible) in the relevant area.

    If you are still unsure, then possibly you can talk to professors in relevant areas (you can get their contact emails from iiit.ac.in) to know their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for replying :)

      Thinking to apply this July session. And I have also added in G+ this morning. Sent you few doubts there :)

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    Thank you for sharing very usefull informations.
    I am a BTech Graduate in CSE and having 5+ years exp in IT Industry. Currently in Hyderabad.
    I am interested in MTech Program through PGSSP from IIIT H, which I want to receive as Full time degree finally.
    I am having certain concerns,which are-

    1.Will it be a right decision for me to take PGSSP while continueing work or I should prefer a break from work and do Regular M Tech.

    As My aim is to achieve a full time mtech degree, and then after further studies to get into teaching profession slowly.

    2.After Completeion of 4 years of time(8 sem) will they provide Full time MTech Degree.

    3.what is the min criteria they looks after the 1st sem duration(i.e. initial probation time with 2 subject) to promote into actual MTech Program

    4.In case if I Chnage my work-organization, after enrolling into PGSSP program, will there be any impact from institute side?

    5.Last but not the least, are there any way to meet/contact you(if no issue) or any student who is currently continuing PGSSP program for MTech in CSE.(To have elaborate information)

    It Will be great,for your inputs on my concerns.

    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sibshankar,
    Your answers (as per my opinion) are below:

    1. If it is M.Tech, you can go for part-time, alongside your work. If you are interested in research MS or PhD, it is better to go full-time.

    Again, if it is your aim to go into teaching line, its always recommended to do a full-time course, then get into lectureship along with research (PhD preferably).

    2. Degree should be same. It does not mention fulltime or part time. But please confirm once from the Admissions office.

    3. Your performance (CGPA) in the first 2 sems. I have already explained this in my post.

    4. No

    5. You can contact me. Perhaps my email id is visible on my google+ profile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing highly informative post regarding PGSSP program.

    I have few queries regarding PGSSP.
    I am seeking for full time M Tech. I read that PGSSP as the medium to get into regular M Tech.
    Will it be possible to move to regular M Tech after showing excellent CGPA in PGSSP program?

    Will I be considered for On Campus Placements?

    If possible, Can you please share your email address (I dint find your email id on your Google + profile) so that I can clear all my doubts and confusions?

    Your suggestions will be really helpful.
    Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Akshay, your answers are below:

    Will it be possible to move to regular M Tech after showing excellent CGPA in PGSSP program?
    >> YES

    Will I be considered for On Campus Placements?
    >> Any full time student can sit for campus placements

    Add me up on G+ at https://plus.google.com/u/0/107698731265429619831. I can reply to your message there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sir,
    Thanks for answering my queries.
    I have sent you a message on google+ for few more answers. :)
    Please check it.

    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for replying on my query on PGSSP program on your blog post.

    Can you please help me on few more doubts? The list will not end up until I will take the admission. :)

    1. My Company may not issue the letter which is required to show to the IIIT at the time of admission. Still Do I have chances to get admission?

    2.Can you please throw some light on the fee structure (annual expenditure)?

    3. Is it possible to take admission in Part time M.Tech directly? Can we convert it to full time M.Tech later?

    Please provide your valuable suggestions.
    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @akshay - here are yours answers:

    1) Perhaps yes. Please check with the Admissions office in Main Building (Nilgiri) at IIIT-H.

    2) It is 15K for Student Status Fee. Additional 15K for each subject you opt for. For example, if you take 2 subjects per sem, then your per sem fees will be 15K (Student Status) + 15K (subject 1) + 15K (subject 2) = INR 45K.

    3) You must get into PGSSP for 1 year (2 sems) for any part-time course. From the 3rd sem (2nd year) onwards, this can be converted to a part-time MS, M.Tech or PhD. Its all up to the professor you are in contact with (your guide) - he can surely recommend you for a full-time course, if he is satisfied with your progress in the 1st year of PGSSP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi..This is really a wonderful info.I want to do part time M Tech in VLSI.I have 2 years experience in VLSI field.Am I eligible to do..?? Does it offer part time M Tech VLSI.Will that be useful in my professional career..? I am very much interested in doing..I have some more queries.Can you please help me..!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Archana, its better to go to IIIT Admissions office and get the details from them, if you are based out of hyderabad. I think there is a VLSI design lab at IIIT-H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for replying.! :) Definetely I will go and find out in the office,but I have some doubts if u dont mind..Actually I want to apply for this monoon and I m planning to take 1 subject per sem..I am just wondering if the credits will be sufficient to upgrade to MTECH full time.And will I have good placements after completing my 2 years course..?

      Delete
    2. Hi Archana,

      PGSSP is of 2 sems (1 year). It is advisable to do 2 courses per sem so that the professor can judge your performance over a broad range of courses (minimum is 1 course per sem for part-time/PGSSP students). But again, this depends on the professor you are in talks/consultation with.

      You will need 8 GCPA I guess to qualify for MTech (full-time).

      Yes, placements are good, but only the full time students are allowed to appear for those.

      Delete
  12. Hello my friend,
    It has been long back. I am no longer updated of the recent information. Better to contact IIIT-H directly. You can check their site iiit.ac.in

    ReplyDelete